Some days you’re the bug, some days you’re the windshield.

It’s been a really crazy ten days or so. 

One of my besties got married on the 14th and it was an incredible wedding.  She’s the last of my three besties to get married in the last four months.  Although it’s been a crazy wedding season, I’m super happy for all my girls.  They’ve each married a great guy who is perfectly suited to them.  I couldn’t be any more ecstatic. 

The hubs and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary on the 17th.  Well, we actually celebrated on the 16th but you get the point.  We went out for breakfast, then went to see Killer Elite (not the greatest movie I’ve ever seen), went to Sam’s for some shopping and general time killing, then went to a late lunch/early dinner.  It was a relaxing day.  We also shared anniversary presents… I got the hubs a Kindle which he is now thoroughly obsessed with, and he got me Claude.  I have a thing for owls, mainly the cute cartoony type… and Claude is the name of an adorable little blue owl on Zazzle.  I am now the proud owner of personalized stationary, envelopes and stickers with the cute little blue-feathered guy on them.  They’re adorable.  The hubs and I agreed several months back that we were going to set a limit on money… specifically one $100 bill per year of marriage.  So this year, since we’ve been married one year, we each get to spend $100 on each other.  Next year it’ll be $200 and so forth and so on.  I’m sure at some point we’ll have to cap this but for now, it works.  We also agreed to adhere to either the traditional or modern “rules” of anniversary gifts.  The traditional gift for a first anniversary is paper and the modern is clocks.  As you can see, the hubs took a literal take on the rules.  I, on the other hand, took a more abstract take on it.  A Kindle is an e-reader for books which are usually made of paper.  But, for those of you who are sticklers for the rules and can’t see outside of the box, I wrapped it in paper, the box it came in was made of cardboard, he got a card, and the warranty information is all on paper.   Then the day of mom offered to pick up dinner because she said I shouldn’t have to cook on my anniversary (she rocks btw) so we had Italian food from Corelli’s.  We also popped a bottle of champagne from the wedding and ate some of the top layer of our wedding cake (which was surprisingly yummy and fresh tasting considering it was in my freezer for a year).  All in all, it was a very relaxing and nice way to spend my anniversary. 

I don’t remember much of what else happened during the rest of the week.  That’s usually a sign that either 1, nothing exciting or out of the ordinary happened or 2, so much happened that it’s all a blur.

I do remember, however, feeling sick on Friday.  It started about noon and all of a sudden out of nowhere I was nauseous, had a major migraine, and my neck and shoulders were incredibly stiff.  I went home and laid down and spent the rest of the night in bed snuggled with the hubs. 

Fortunately, I woke up Saturday feeling fine so we took the truck in for an inspection, went to Soliz for breakfast tacos, picked the truck up and then took the pup with us to the new farmers market that’s going on in Sugar Land.  The market wasn’t nearly as big or exciting as I’d hoped for but we did get a ton of green beans, squash, zucchini, and cucumbers for a seriously low price.  There were several hundred people there and we saw several with dogs.  We saw 3 Boxers, 2 Boston Terriers, 1 Akita, 1 small curly-haired Poodle-ish mix, 1 dog who looked like a black Irish Setter, and several others.  Our pup thoroughly enjoyed herself and her day out socializing.  Afterwards the hubs and I went grocery shopping which is always fun.  I vaguely remember us grocery shopping when we first started dating and I think he hated it, now he looks forward to it.  It’s kinda cute.

Yesterday I spent the entire day in the kitchen.  I made a new soup called Spring Vegetable and Chickpea soup and stored it in the freezer.  I brought some today for lunch but haven’t tried it yet so I cant tell you if it’s any good or not.  I made Please Cheese Me which is a healthy version of macaroni and cheese (8 oz whole wheat noodles, 1 large family-size package of frozen cauliflower and cheese sauce, 3 Laughing Cow wedges – heat the cauliflower per package instructions and then put it and the cheese in a food processor or blender – blend/process and then mix with the cooked noodles – salt and pepper as desired – YUM).  It doesn’t taste like mac-n-cheese out of a box or anything but it’s yummy and satisfies my cravings for pasta and cheese.  It’s also a great way to get in some vegetables if you have someone in your house who doesn’t like them.  I made pesto green beans (recipe at the bottom) which are a house favorite, I prepped dinner for tonight because I won’t have much time to cook it after getting home from walking tonight, and I attempted to make Almond Sandwich Cookies which were a giant fail.  The cookie part didn’t work out so we turned them into bars and left out the filling… either way it’s not a recipe worth sharing.  We had hamburgers on whole wheat buns and Sautéed Summer Squash with Basil and Tomatoes (another house favorite – recipe at the bottom) for dinner.  All in all, lots and lots of cooking. 

Then this morning, I wake up and I guess I must have gotten out of bed too fast or something because the whole world tilted on its axis.  I was swept up in a major episode of vertigo.  So, that was four hours ago and I’m still spinning.  It comes in waves and with no warning… I’ll be fine and then suddenly WHOOSH!… and along with the dizzie lizzies it’s making me queasy.  I absolutely detest being nauseous.  I’d much rather just puke and be done with it.  I’m seriously hoping this doesn’t last all day.  Oh, and on top of that, the server is down at work so we can’t access much of anything which is just fabulous considering that Mondays are my crazy busy report-running days AND I have to go to a company-wide two and a half hour long meeting this afternoon.  Whoo hoo!  Not.  Happy Monday to me!

One good thing has happened this morning though… I ate a super healthy breakfast.  J  I took approximately one cup of frozen bell peppers and onions and sautéed them with approximately one tablespoon of prepared refrigerated pesto.  Then, I took one double fiber whole wheat English muffin, split it and topped each half with one slice of Monterrey jack cheese, and three slices of hickory smoked lunch meat turkey.  I broiled that in the toaster oven for about 5-10 minutes and then topped it with the sautéed peppers.  On the side I had a small smoothie which consisted of one cup of frozen blueberries, one banana, one carton of Chobani Greek yogurt, a few ice cubes and a splash of Just Tart Cherry Juice.  YUM!  High in fiber, high in protein, and high in antioxidants. 

Maybe it’s because we’re headed into the holiday season and my calendar is already booked, maybe it’s because a year ago today I was still on my honeymoon in the Dominican Republic, or maybe it’s because it’s just been a crazy busy couple of weeks but I am seriously ready for a vacation.  The hubs and I are taking off for a few days next month to go to Louisiana but I’d much rather be at a resort on a tropical island somewhere.  Perhaps that’ll be our next vacation!  Here’s hoping!

Happy Monday everybody!!!



Pesto Green Beans

Makes 8 servings

Prep: 20 mins, Cook: 10 mins

 2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed

¼ cup butter or margarine

2 garlic cloves, pressed

1 teaspoon dried pesto seasoning (or sub ½ tsp dried basil, ¼ tsp dried parsley and ¼ tsp parmesan)

½ teaspoon salt

 Arrange green beans in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 6 minutes or until crisp-tender.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium‐low heat. Stir in garlic, pesto seasoning, and salt; sauté about

1 minute. Add green beans and sauté 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.


Sautéed Summer Squash with Basil and Tomatoes

PREP: 5 minutes  COOK: 13 minutes

 2 teaspoons olive oil

2 small zucchini , cut into ¼” thick slices

1 large yellow squash, cut into ¼” thick slices

½ cup chopped sweet onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup grape tomatoes

 ¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

¼ cup (I ounce) shredded Asiago cheese

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, squash, and onion: Sauté 6 minutes.  Add garlic; sauté 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

2. Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper to pan;  sauté 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in cheese and basil

YIELD: 6 servings


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: