“New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin.” ~ Mark Twain

Wow, I haven’t blogged in a while.  So much for keeping up with this.  It’s been a busy couple of weeks and quite frankly, I found Pinterest.  If you haven’t found it yet, get ready… it’s insanely addicting.  Over the past week or so I keep thinking “I need to write my blog” which is then followed by “right after I see what’s on Pinterest.”  Needless to say I haven’t gotten to the blog.  So, this will be rather disjointed but nonetheless, here we go.

I love my chiropractor.  If you have frequent headaches or back pain, you really need to find a good, reputable chiropractor.  About a week and a half ago I was in serious pain so I went and had a scan.  This is where they run a little machine down your neck and spine and it does muscle, joint, and nervous system readings.  Turns out my muscles are good but I have nerve and joint issues in my high-upper neck and my low back.  The neck thing is new and driving me insane.  It’s causing some very frequent and very painful migraines.  I’m not a fan.  So, since we were leaving for vacation I went ahead and had a pretty substantial adjustment followed up with what’s called an E-stem.  I’ve had the E-stems done before, both at my chiropractor and when I blew my knee out in college.  Basically they strap electrodes to you and turn up the juice.  You get this buzzy, vibrating, tingly sensation (not really the good kind) and somehow, someway, this is supposed to help the nerves in the area.  It worked, and I felt great for the duration of our vacation.

We left on Thursday and drove to Lake Charles to stay the night at the Isle of Capris.  It was just a stop-over since we got there late and left early.  I do recommend the Isle of Capri Inn (approx. $69 for a weeknight) if you need a hotel.  It was clean (my main concern), didn’t smell (another huge plus), right off the freeway, and had access to the actual Isle of Capris if you wanted to eat or gamble or whatever. 

On Friday we headed on in to New Orleans and checked into our “hotel.”  It’s not really a hotel per-say as my dad & stepmom own a timeshare here.  Technically they own one room for one week a year but the rest of us can go and stay at any other time of year in any room and get a “family discount.”  It was great – we paid $59 for a weeknight and $79 or $89 for the weekends.  We were a block from Bourbon in the French Quarter.  You couldn’t ask for better.  The only downside was the matchbox-sized bathroom.  Needless to say there were adventures to be had when there’s zero clearance on either side of the toilet and the shower had zero water pressure.  It was like trying to take a shower with someone spitting on you.  We think this was due to construction going on in the condo though as it’s not a typical occurrence.  We did have fabulous weather.  It was between 50 and 80 all weekend.  My kind of temperatures!  In addition, it appears that the weekend after Halloween is the time to go if you don’t like crowds.  Halloween is HUGE in New Orleans, second only to Mardis Gras and followed closely by JazzFest.  Not only is it Halloween but they also have Voodoo Fest which is a huge music concert that goes on for days.  Basically, if you want to party, dress up, act crazy, and get trampled on by zillions of strangers, you want to go during Halloween.  But, if you like I am and you’d rather not do any of those things, the weekend after Halloween proved to be quiet and peaceful.  We had a late lunch/early dinner at a restaurant called La Bayou.  I had their eggplant muffaletta (fabulous but HUGE) and the hubs had some sort of traditional Cajun food (i.e. gumbo, jambalaya, etc).  I sort of wish we’d gone back to this restaurant later because their menu had LOTS of items on it that I wanted to try.  Afterwards we wandered around the quarter and went into a bunch of shops.  We stopped at a few coffee bars and actual bars (Pat O’s, The Old Absinthe House, Crescent City Coffee, etc) and just relaxed and took in the scenery.  Much later on that evening we went back to the hotel room and had a pizza delivered and hung out and watched movies. 

Saturday we got up and walked down to the French Market to have breakfast at The Magnolia Grill.  I actually think that breakfast was my favorite meal this entire trip which is really weird since I’m not a “normal breakfast food” eater.  However, we kept finding this hole-in-the-wall places where we saw a lot of the real New Orleans people (i.e. not tourists like ourselves).  It was interesting.  Right outside their backdoor was the market and we spent the next few hours wandering around.  We purchased some amazing photographs of doors of the Quarter, an angel statue, and old trees covered in snow from this wonderful photographer.  The hubs bought some cheap-o sunglasses too.  After several hours of wandering and once our feet started to hurt we headed to the Café du Monde.  If you ever go to New Orleans you have to go here.  Let me give you a tip though – you don’t have to stand in line.  That’s right folks, if you go here (especially on a weekend) it’s likely that the line will stretch at least one block if not too.  Unless you just really feel like waiting, grab the first empty (and dirty) table you see.  Turns out, only the tourists and/or uninformed wait in line.  If you notice, the signs on the building say “please seat yourself.”  I was told by my stepmom about this so when we got there, we just walked in and parked it at the first dirty, empty table we saw.  Within 3 minutes the waiter came, cleared & cleaned the table and took our orders.  We sat and munched on beignets and café au lait.  It was the first time the hubs had ever eaten a beignet and he loved it.  It was really cute to watch him try to eat it without ending up covered in powdered sugar.  Although, that’s half the fun.  There was this funny old couple at the table next to us and they were covered head to toe in powdered sugar.  I couldn’t help looking at them and thinking “that’ll be us in 40 years.”  It made me smile.  We people watched for a bit and then wandered slowly through Jackson Square and other parts of the Quarter until making it back to our room.  We rested, showered, changed, got gussied up, and went to dinner at Mr. B’s Bistro.  It was amazing.  We started off with these Garlic Truffle French Fries that were nearly orgasm-inducing.  The hubs didn’t know that a truffle could be anything other than a chocolate-covered ball so he was expecting garlic & chocolate French fries.  It was really funny.  The hubs had their filet mignon (which is smothered in truffle butter) and I had their grilled red fish.  Both were yummy.  We finished up the meal with profiteroles and chocolate sauce (they’re basically hand-made cream puffs smothered in chocolate sauce).  It was all delicious.  Then we wandered around until we found a quiet-ish bar where we could watch the LSU v. Alabama game.  Sidenote: I really don’t like LSU and I’m a HUGE Alabama fan.  I had told the hubs earlier in the evening that I’d have to keep my Alabama cheering to a minimum lest I get us in trouble.  Funnily enough, we wandered into the only bar with a sizeable Alabama cheering section.  The group in front of us had about 8 people in it all cheering (LOUDLY!) for Alabama.  I didn’t feel so worried after that.  When the game ended (Alabama lost btw) we wandered back to our hotel and crashed. 

Sunday we got up and wandered to breakfast but I honestly can’t tell you where because it wasn’t one of the places we’d originally thought we would go.  We just sort of landed there.  It was fabulous.  They have the biggest sausage biscuits!  OMG, everything was so yummy.  Once we were thoroughly stuffed we walked to the Aquarium of the Americas.  We especially enjoyed the sea turtle (since the hubs and I have a thing about turtles) and the otters (because I have a love of anything furry and cute).  We were pretty tired from all our walking so we headed to lunch at Huck Finn’s Café.  We sat and watched the first half of the Saints game while I noshed on a vegetarian vegetable wrap (sooo good) and the hubs, again, had Cajun food.  We were too tired to do much more walking so we headed a few blocks over to the local movie theatre and decided to just see whatever was coming on next.  Turns out it was this obscure Sundance-Film-Festival-esque movie called Take Shelter.   It’s about this guy who has visions/hallucinations of the end of the world (by storm).  However, his mom was diagnosed with schizophrenia in her thirties and he is, you guessed it, in his mid-thirties.  So, there’s this whole struggle with is the world really ending or is he going nuts?  It was really interesting but definitely not a movie I would have normally watched.  Afterwards we wandered back to the hotel and the hubs said he wanted to spend our last night in New Orleans just snuggled up watching movies… so we did just that.  We ordered pizza and a Greek salad (for me) and just hung out all night.  It was fun. 

Monday we got up and walked to breakfast at this tiny diner called The Clover Grill – again not a place that many tourists would go to have breakfast.  It was a nice, relaxed breakfast with a real New Orleans feel.  Then we walked a few more blocks to visit the house of my step-aunt and uncle.  They live in this AMAZING house in the Quarter that is a historic building (it’s the site of the first integrated school in New Orleans).  They have refurbished it with a few modern touches here and there but most of the original architecture is still intact.  They’ve also decorated it in antiques, amazing paintings, and styling’s typical of the era in which it was built.  It’s an exquisite place.  If I could stand New Orleans on a full time basis I wouldn’t mind living there at all.  After a tour of the house and some time spent conversing with my aunt we headed back to the room to check out and head home.  We drove the next six hours back to Houston (this was the least enjoyable part of all) and crashed when we got home.  All in all, it was a great trip and we really enjoyed ourselves.  I’m glad that we got to go and especially happy that I got to introduce my husband to New Orleans for the first time. 

When my friend G and I decided that we were going to start this 5k training we talked about the timing – did we really want to start this right before the holidays when everyone’s schedules tend to go wonky?  We decided we’d try it…and, two weeks in, we’ve decided it’s not the greatest idea.  We’re definitely not getting in as many workouts as we’re supposed to and that leaves us feeling like we’re not doing anything at all.  So, it’s back to walking 3 miles a day on the days that we can (usually 1-2 days per week) and hopefully, Lord willing, we’ll start the 5k training up in January once life slows down from the holidays. 

I had my teeth cleaned the other day.  I’m totally and completely OCD about this.  I go to the dentist every 6 months like clockwork.  I did even when I didn’t have insurance.  I’m pretty sure that this has a LOT to do with the fact that I had braces for something crazy like 6 years and it makes you incredibly conscious of your oral health.  Have you been for your cleaning recently?  If not, get that on the schedule before the end of the year!

I also had my annual “lady checkup.”  Actually, it was a rather “enjoyable” experience in the sense that I went to see a new doc, and I’m thrilled by my change in doctors!  She’s very nice and took quite a long time to sit and talk with me about everything.  She didn’t pop in, say hi, and toss my skirt up.  She also is making me go for blood work which I’ve been needing to do but avoiding because I hate needles.  I finally agreed and went last week to get it done.  I’m not a fan but I will say that I didn’t cry, although I was seriously biting back tears, and I had the best blood-draw technician I’ve ever had.  She was fantastic.  So, progress.  Now we’re just waiting on the results of the tests.

I had dinner with some girlfriends on Friday night and it was fabulous.  They came over and we had a super simple dinner and just spent most of our time laughing and catching up.  Usually I stress about get together at my house even though I love throwing them.  I menu plan for weeks in advance, prep the house for days, and then kill myself the day-of getting everything ready and am generally too exhausted to actually enjoy my company.  I definitely didn’t do that this time.  I cooked a simple meal and the girls brought bread and desserts.  It was a blast and I cant wait for the next one.

Saturday I went garage sale shopping with my friend G.  The neighborhood I live in only allows garage sales once a quarter so usually there are LOTS of them going on.  We left the house before 8am and didn’t get home until nearly 2pm.  We had to come home and unload my car TWICE!  It was crazy.  She got lots of stuff for her adorable granddaughter who was with us (and extremely well behaved!) and I got lots of stuff for future craftiness.  I’m excited.  I also purchased several movies on VHS.  I love having a VHS player because everyone sells their old VHS movies at garage sales for insanely low prices.  It’s great.  We watched Scream 2 and Alien Resurrection. 

Sunday the hubs and I got up and went to see the matinee of Immortals.  The first two-thirds of the movie were pretty good – better than I expected actually.  But, I honestly cannot tell you what the hell happened during the last third of the movie or, for that matter, really how the movie ended.  Why?  Because about two-thirds of the way through the movie, something FLEW across the theatre.  Several minutes later, I saw a reflection off a “shiny” surface MOVING on the seat in front of me.  That’s right folks – to my complete and utter horror, it was a cockroach.  Honestly I wanted to leave – or at least move seats – but I didn’t want to ruin the movie for my husband.  I was completely and utterly terrified though.  I just KNEW it was going to crawl on me.  So, I spent the next 30 or so minutes clutching my husband’s hand for dear life and keeping a sharp eye out for anything that moved.  Post movie, I complained to management and told them that they needed to call an exterminator.  It will be quite a while before we go back to that theatre.  Yuck yuck yuck.  Afterwards we grabbed lunch at Café Adobe (roasted poblano corn chowder & fajitas…yum yum yum) and then went to Lowe’s to pick up a new dishwasher.  I sort of feel like the house is falling down.  In the last two months we’ve had to replace the water heater, sliding glass shower door, dishwasher, get the roof patched, and something else I can’t think of off the top of my head.  It’s busy at our house.  So, we went home and the hubs installed a dishwasher while I escaped to get a pedicure.  I came home and we popped in Lost Souls and followed it up with The Talented Mr. Ripley and then it was off to beddy-bye.

I feel like there was more I wanted to tell you about (shocking right?) but I can’t think of what it is offhand.  I’m feeling unproductive because I’m not keeping up with this blog and because my “want-to” pile is piling up.  You know, the pile of things you want to get to.  With the holidays coming up I’m sure that pile will get even bigger and further behind.  Tonight I’m off to pick up a few things I need to make birthday presents with (3 co-workers have birthdays in the next week) and then have to meet a concrete contractor at the house to talk about getting a new driveway poured.  Exciting times.


One response to ““New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin.” ~ Mark Twain

  1. Pingback: April Date Night « changingmymarbles

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: