So Friday last week I took Sewing 102 like I mentioned in my previous post. I haven’t written about it yet because honestly, there’s a lot of personal drama going on and I just don’t feel particularly perky at the moment. Don’t ask me why, but I feel the need to feel perky when I write for my blog. This morning I just decided I was going to write it perky or not… so here I am.
Friday’s class was scheduled to take 3 hours and the instructor warned us at the beginning that likely, we wouldn’t all finish. She was right. In fact, NONE of us finished. However, I learned A TON. I mean, I feel like I took an entire semester’s college course in one night. I slept sooooo good that night (once I finally went to sleep) because my brain was so tired. Needless to say, it’s not a simple top (the class was called ‘Sewing a Simple Top’). There were a gazillion seams, rouching, and even using a special lining to make the collar stiff. It was just a lot to tackle in one class. Little did I know, cutting out the pattern would take the longest amount of time. Funnily enough, the pattern we were using had a huge error on it, so we were all completely lost. Thank goodness for the instructor. I’m so happy I didn’t try to tackle this pattern on my own because I would have been completely mystified and probably ended up with a goofy looking pillow instead of a shirt. Anyways, if you’ve never used a pattern before (which I hadn’t) it’s not easy. I don’t think it’d be easy even when the pattern isn’t all jacked up (thanks McCall’s!). It’s virtually impossible to cut a straight line. I’m going to have to find a better way to do this. I have two ideas and once I’ve tried them both, I’ll let you know what works best.
Continuing on… so, an hour after class started we finally started sewing. … Slowly. … Really slowly. … I’m relatively certain I sew at the speed of a 3-legged turtle. But, my shirt eventually started taking shape. About 10 minutes before the end of class, my sewing needle hit one of my pins and bent my needle. Then I attempted to unbend my needle (which can’t be done apparently) and broke it completely. Seeing as how I had absolutely no idea how the heck to change out a broken needle, that ended my class time. I spent the next few minutes talking to the instructor about how to finish my shirt at home.
So, Sunday I sat down for about an hour and finished my shirt. Truthfully, I didn’t really look at the pattern. I just went off of what I remembered my instructor saying and did some improvisation. I know I didn’t stitch the sides together correctly, or hem the bottom correctly. I actually took everything a step farther than I needed to. Honestly I’m ok with that because my intention for learning to sew is not to sew clothing. So, if my shirt looks goofy, that’s ok, I just want to learn how to read a pattern and how to use my machine.
Oh, and apparently, I need to work on the size of my seams. Here’s why… I made the shirt using the size 14 pattern because the person I had in mind wears a size 12 and I figured it wouldn’t hurt if it was a bit big. So, once the shirt was completed, I had said person put the shirt on. They could barely get their arms in it (apparently the way I thought you make arm holes and the way you do aren’t the same). Sooo… I took the shirt with me on Monday to Girls Night with some friends (who happen to be skinny-minis) and asked my wonderful friend E to try it on for me. Little miss size 8 fits perfectly into my size 14 top. Umm… so that means I used 4 sizes worth of material to make my plethora of seams. Whoops. Well, at least my seams are straight (sorta). So, needless to say I’m going to take my shirt with me to my sewing class this week and ask my instructor what in the world went 4 sizes wrong. But hey, I made a shirt. An actual shirt. And the day before this class, I’d just learned what a bobbin was and how to thread my machine. I’m rather proud of myself even though my intended outcome (a size 12-14 top) wasn’t reached, I still made a top. I may not get a gold star, but I think I earned myself a silver one.