So I’m sure this is pretty standard for basically everyone but have you ever noticed how the crazier your life gets the worse you eat? When you’re blowing and going at 90 miles an hour for weeks on end and you find yourself eating whatever is convenient and takes the least time… know what I mean? Well, that’s been me for about the last two months. Now that I’m working two jobs I have exactly zero time to cook or even to chop. So, that means we’re not eating very good food in our house right about now. The hubs and I talked about it and I asked him if he’d make salad a few times a week so I can have that when I come home at 10pm for dinner instead of popping a frozen pizza in the oven. Fortunately, he agreed. Now, however, I’m worried about the boredom factor. You see, I don’t really like to eat the same thing twice in one week. It just gets on my taste bud nerves. So, I’ve been thinking about all of the different kinds of salads that we could make. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
- Our ‘house salad’ – lettuce (romaine, spinach, spring mix, other baby lettuces), carrots, cucumbers, celery, broccoli cole slaw, sugar snap/snow peas, radishes, and sometimes coleslaw mix (I then add croutons & Italian dressing for me)
- My olive & nut salad – our ‘house salad’ with black olives, green olives, roasted & salted sunflower seeds, ranch almonds, olive oil, a little cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar)
- Spinach salad – baby spinach, thinly sliced button mushrooms, red bell pepper, roasted & salted sunflower seeds, balsamic vinaigrette
- My Greek salad – spring mix, cucumber, tomatoes, purple onion, kalamata olives, parmesan or feta cheese, black pepper, lemon juice
- BBQ Caesar Salad – romaine lettuce, chicken breasts marinated in Caesar dressing & cooked on the BBQ, croutons, parmesan cheese (I don’t add any dressing to the salad)
That’s all I can come up with though. I’m not a big fan of meat in my salad except for chicken. I also don’t really care for fruit in my salad.
So… what kind of salads do you guys eat? Anything I should try?