As several of you know, I’m a couponer. When I get coupons for items that don’t go bad quickly (these are called shelf stable in the food industry) I tend to buy them. Right now, we have at least 8 jars of spaghetti sauce in our pantry. We don’t eat spaghetti sauce. At least not like ‘normal’ people would (i.e. as spaghetti). My mom makes the BEST homemade spaghetti sauce so why eat something generic out of a can when you can have the best?? BUT there are zillions of recipes out there for what to do with a jar of spaghetti sauce.
(photo from Kraft Foods website)
This weekend, we tried the Fuss-Free Ravioli and Cheese Bake from Kraft Foods. This recipe has actually been sitting in my Recipes to Try box for quite a while. Here’s what we thought…
- Crazy easy to make (dump a bunch of stuff in a bowl and go)
- We had most of the items already on hand (we only had to buy the ravioli)
- You could probably sub tortellini or any other filled pasta for the ravioli
- You could vary the flavor of the dish by using different kinds of filled pasta (i.e. spinach instead of four cheese)
- Didn’t rock my socks. The dish was ok but not great. Definitely not what we refer to as ‘company food’ in our house.
- The flavor of the ravioli got kind of lost in the intense tomato flavor. This might be ‘fixable’ if you used another type of pasta (see #5 above).
- When you put the cheese only on top, it forms this solid cheese layer which is not the easiest to cut through with a fork. It also means that only half of your raviolis get cheese on them. I might try mixing the cheese into the dish instead of just plopping it on top next time.
- We actually didn’t deviate from the recipe at all except for the basil. I didn’t have fresh on hand and didn’t want to purchase it solely for this dish and end up with a lot leftover so we used ½ tsp. dried basil instead.
I’ve linked up to these great parties:
Beyond the Picket Fence
Chef in Training
Chic on a Shoestring
DIY Home Sweet Home
DIY Show Off
Ginger Snap Crafts
Handy Man, Crafty Woman
Home Maker on a Dime
Home Stories A to Z
House of Hepworths
I Gotta Create
I Heart Naptime
Made in a Day
Mod Vintage Life
My Girlish Whims
One Artsy Mama
Skip to My Lou
Under the Table and Dreaming