I found this recipe a while back here. I’m fairly certain I was looking for vegetarian recipes that contained beans. This could work well for a Meatless Monday dish or as a side dish.
Zucchini, Black Bean and Rice Skillet
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups zucchini, quartered & chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup instant white rice
- ½ cup shredded cheddar and Monterrey jack cheese blend
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and bell pepper, cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add beans, undrained tomatoes, and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Add rice; stir well. Cover; remove from heat and let stand 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese.
- So I didn’t add the cheese when I made this because I was trying to make it healthier. Don’t do this. It needs the cheese. Desperately.
- I felt like this dish was missing a lot (above and beyond the cheese). Next time I would make it with some Rotel or I would add in a Tablespoon of taco seasoning or something. It’s just kind of bland and boring – but not bad. It definitely needs some tweaking though.
- If you want a healthier version of this you can sub brown rice for the white rice.
I’ve linked up to these great parties:
Chef in Training
Chic on a Shoestring
DIY Show Off
Ginger Snap Crafts
Handy Man Crafty Woman
Happy Hour Projects
Home Stories A to Z
I Gotta Create
I Heart Naptime
Mod Vintage Life
My Girlish Whims
One Artsy Mama
Skip to my Lou
Under the Table and Dreaming