I love green beans. In fact, they’re probably one of my favorite vegetables. The other night I made dinner for my dad and my stepmom and we had these green beans as our side dish. They were so good that my stepmom said she could eat just the green beans for dinner and be happy.
I found this recipe here.
Buttery Almond Green Beans
Serves 8 (really more like 4 in my opinion)
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine the beans, water and soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the almonds, cheese and paprika. Drain beans; drizzle with butter and sprinkle with almond mixture. Toss to coat.
- Yum. These are delish.
- I over cooked mine a bit and they were a little on the mushy side. Be careful to watch them as they’re cooking in order to make sure you don’t overcook. They can go from ‘just right’ to ‘squishy’ really quick.
- I didn’t toast my almonds – I’m not sure if it would have added anything but this was a great dish regardless. I think next time that I’ll use sliced almonds instead of slivered.
- I only used ½ tsp of paprika – I didn’t want to overwhelm the green beans. In my opinion, ½ tsp is just perfect.
- It’s nice that you can basically start this dish and then ignore it while you work on something else (at least for about 15 minutes – then you need to pay attention to make sure that you don’t overcook your beans). I don’t know about you but I can get a lot done in 15 minutes. 🙂
- If the fresh green beans don’t look particularly wonderful you could probably used thawed frozen green beans instead.
I’ve linked up to these great parties:
Chef in Training
Chic on a Shoestring
Days of Chalk and Chocolate
Ginger Snap Crafts
Handy Man Crafty Woman
Happy Hour Projects
Home Stories A to Z
I Gotta Create
I Heart Naptime
My Girlish Whims
One Artsy Mama
Skip to my Lou
Under the Table and Dreaming