I know I’ve told you guys a zillion times that I love soup and with fall decending upon us I have to tell you – I’m stoked. It’s finally soup season! Although – I’ll eat soup when it’s 100 degrees outside so I guess I should say that it’s finally soup season for the rest of you not-crazy people. 🙂
I got this recipe here.
I want to preface (so you’re not confused later) by saying that there’s nothing ‘pizza-ish’ about this soup, so I’ve renamed it. Ha!
Pasta Pizza Soup Italian Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (I used ‘white’ or ‘button’ mushrooms)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups cooked tricolor spiral pasta
- In a large saucepan over medium heat cook the beef, mushrooms, onion and celery until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the water, tomatoes, carrots, bouillon, bay leaf and oregano.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir in pasta; heat through. Discard bay leaf.
- This is definitely a hearty soup. A big steaming bowl of this soup with some crusty bread for dipping and you’ve got yourself a wonderful chilly weather meal.
- I used the type of spiral pasta that is part grain and part vegi (similar to this). Doing so makes this dish even healthier and I promise that no one in your family will know the difference.
- My husband HATES mushrooms (which I love) and I chopped mine up really fine and guess what? He never even knew they were in there! Score!
- If you use the vegi/grain pasta AND super-duper low fat meat this is a crazy healthy meal.
I’ve linked up to these great parties: