So this recipe isn’t really all that ‘wintery’ but it’s a nice change of pace from those heavy meals you’ve probably been eating for the last few weeks. It has a light zing and is loaded with good-for-you veggies. This is a Kraft recipe that you can find here.
Zesty Chicken and Pasta
- 1 package (8 oz) fusilli pasta, uncooked
- ½ cup light Italian dressing, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting salt.
- Meanwhile, heat ¼ cup of dressing in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4 minutes or until done. Add vegetables and parsley; cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture and remaining dressing. Top with cheese.
- First off, this dish makes a rather sizeable amount of food. This can easily feed a family of 4 with a small side salad or some sliced fruit & garlic bread.
- I found the cooking times of ‘5 minutes’ to be rather on the loooow end of things. It took at least twice that for me to get my desired level of ‘done-ness.’ It’s still a very quick meal and definitely suitable for a school night when you’re tired and everyone has something else that they have to get done before bed time.
- If you don’t like broccoli or red bell pepper you could easily switch up the veggies to suit your taste. Just choose whatever fresh veggie works for you – squash, zucchini, tomatoes, or carrots would be some good options.