I have a confession to make. I have a bit of a condiment problem. You see, I don’t really like them unless they’re tomato based (like ketchup or salsa). I won’t eat mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream, guacamole, or pretty much any dressing with the exception of something oil based (like Italian). There’s something about that creamy consistency that most condiments have that just sends me running for the hills. So, when I came across this recipe from Amazing Pinterest World I was intrigued, but nervous. It contains ranch dressing and I just wasn’t sure if I was going to like it. Man was I surprised!
*Please note that Amazing Pinterest World is not the originator of this recipe. She just posts recipes that she finds on Pinterest. I am not sure of the original source.
Baked Cheddar Broccoli Rice Cups
Serves: 4 (2 per person) or 8 (1 per person)… trust me, you’ll want 2.
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice (like Minute Rice)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-oz. box frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed and excess water squeezed out
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare rice as directed on package, substituting stock for water.
- Place cooked rice in a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add the remaining ingredients, using only 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, and stir until combined.
- Transfer mixture to eight well-greased muffin cups–I like to use an ice cream scoop–and top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until tops are lightly browned and edges are starting to get crispy.
- OMG y’all these were SOOOO GOOD. Surprisingly, however, my husband… who loves ranch dressing, hated these and asked me to never make them again. I’ve decided that he’s broken. That’s really the only explanation I can come up with. Since he hates them I’m thinking very seriously about making them on Sundays for me to take to work for breakfast a few days a week. I know it’s sort of a weird breakfast meal but you get your grains/fiber from the brown rice, your protein from the egg and cheese, and some veggie goodness from the broccoli. That makes for a pretty good breakfast right?
- I honestly can’t remember what I paired these with but I think it was baked chicken. Then again, I could just make a meal out of these babies and forget the rest. Sooooo yummy. Go make them!
You can view all of the recipes I’ve posted by clicking here.