One of my husbands favorite comfort food meals is grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. I’d been on a search for a good, creamy tomato soup recipe that would satisfy him and this one from Taste of Home definitely does the trick!
Cream of Tomato Soup
Serves: 9 (really more like 6 large bowls)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 ounces Philadelphia® Cream Cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely (1” x 1” pieces, approximately)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) V8 juice
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- (note: I have adapted the original Taste of Home directions) In a food processor, combine coarsely chopped onion and garlic cloves – pulse until onion is finely chopped and has almost a gritty consistency.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in butter.
- While onion and garlic are sautéing, combine stewed tomatoes and cream cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Once onion and garlic are soft and a slightly golden color, whisk in tomato soup and V8 until blended. Gradually stir in the cream cheese mixture, cream and basil. Cook and stir until heated through (do not boil).
- This tastes like the kind of tomato soup most people grew up eating – Campbells condensed tomato soup… it’s just a bit more grown up.
- I did not make the seasoned oyster crackers that are listed on the Taste of Home website as an accompaniment to this soup but they sure sound tasty!
You can view all of the recipes I’ve posted by clicking here.